The sales and purchasing sector has evolved a lot in recent years. The introduction of new technologies, internet and social networks have left behind the door-to-door salesman. It is no longer a mere matter of selling, but the organization of the commercial department has become paramount.
The goal of every business is to sell and generate revenue. Especially in economically complicated times like those experienced recently. Therefore, good commercials have become highly demanded and valued professionals in all organizations. The selection of profiles, definition of objectives and the appropriate structure of the sales department can mean business success.
WHAT DOES THE COMMERCIAL DEPARTMENT DO?
Among the functions of this department are:
- Definition of products: knowing what is sold is essential, as well as knowing who is sold. Thus, it is necessary to investigate changes in the tastes, interests and preferences of customers to adapt the characteristics of the products to the target audience.
- Establish objectives: the salespeople know how much they are able to sell and therefore they will adapt the production quotas to the sales and purchases objectives. This is also used as a motivating element for the team.
- Attend and monitor the quality of the product: commercials are the members of the company that best know the products and services offered, and therefore detect any change in quality and how it affects sales.
- Communication with the customer: selling is no longer simply convincing. The current customer is informed and requires added values such as good service, advice and communication with the brand through various channels.
- Problem solving: the sale requires a follow-up. The commercial department must be willing to solve doubts and problems that the client has with the product before its acquisition.
Therefore, these new functions require new skills. Every good commercial must know the techniques of an effective communicator. Know how to listen, both to clients and colleagues and superiors. Be organized, both in time and space and keep your client portfolio up to date. Being persuasive, that is, knowing how to sell appealing to the benefits that the product has for those who buy it. Be informed of market trends and the latest industry news. Be empathetic, friendly and respectful with the client, always favoring a positive and professional climate.
TIPS FOR EFFICIENT MANAGEMENT
Every commercial department must sell obtaining the maximum benefit. Buy at the best price and with the highest quality. Develop marketing and advertising strategies aimed at attracting and customer loyalty. From the School of Business and Management we offer you 8 keys to create and correctly manage said department:
- Define tasks to perform: commercials sell, but perform more tasks and activities. Collections, customer maintenance, reports, sales standards, establishment of contacts, etc. Define your team well these functions and how to develop them.
- Describe the competences: every salesperson must gather a series of tangible skills and competences: knowledge of the product and sector, sales techniques, strategies and marketing tools, etc. But in addition, they must gather a series of attitudes and personal and human skills that fit with the company.
- Design of the structure of the department: the structure will always depend on the type of company, business and product. It is recommended that it be as horizontal as possible, but always responding to the General Management.
- Distribution by territory: each commercial will be assigned a geographical area or region. The drawback of this form is that it is not easy to distribute equitably.
- Distribution by product: each commercial will be responsible for selling a different product. This is beneficial because each team member will specialize and be an expert on a specific product.
- Distribution by market: this model is especially useful for businesses that have several distribution channels.
- Remuneration policy: it must be clear and transparent, equal and in accordance with the company’s strategy. Must motivate and guide the salesperson to achieve the objectives. Incentives and remunerations must be proportional to performance and can be economic and / or emotional.
- Number of team members: the volume of the department will depend on the structure, the number of potential customers, sales possibilities, contacts, products, etc. Make sure that all members fulfill their role and there is no one dispensable or essential.
- Selection of personnel: the recruitment process must be thorough, depending on the criteria that the company considers appropriate. Remember that a good commercial is not defined exclusively by their technical skills, but also by emotional ones.
- Preparation and training: use all the time and resources you consider necessary to adequately train your employees in company policy and philosophy, marketing strategies, product characteristics, etc.
- Monitoring: the commercial department requires a thorough monitoring and control regardless of whether the results are positive or negative. Based on these, the corresponding changes and corrections will be implemented.
In addition, the commercial department must be aware of all the tasks and activities performed by the rest of the company’s teams. Sales are fundamental pillars of any entity, so its correct development and operation will guarantee the success of the business. To achieve this, every professional must keep updated and trained. With the specialized courses in business management of En Yd , you will get a practical and close vision of the business reality.
Best steps to improve the efficiency of your commercial team
#1. Define a route. Before launching into the street, it is worth considering that the market has changed. And that we will not get the same results working as before. “The previous market was like imagining five basketball baskets, all very close to each other. If I have 10 balls and throw them at the same time, they will enter some without problems. Without choosing which basket I like the most and which one gives me more points. Much work has been done in the past. But now what we have is a basket that does not have much around. If I throw the same 10 balls, which are my sales force, I can not do it at random, because now the baskets are far from each other. You have to think before what are the ones that really interest me, those that correspond perfectly to my offer. And then think about what added value I can offer. If there are fewer clients,
#2. Change the incentive policy. The way to assess the work of the commercial team is another of the barriers that can prevent us from increasing our portfolio. “The remuneration policy of most companies is already an error in itself. The first transaction is rewarded with a commission of 5% and for repetitive transactions with previous clients with 3%. Recruitment is being rewarded more than loyalty and optimization of the client portfolio. We must reward more the way to sell more “, argues Felix Cues ta.
#3. Change the sales strategy. If I need to sell more to my current clients, but they can not consume more, I will also have to rethink what I can demand from my commercial team. The same goes for extending my range of products. And it is possible that the way to do it is looking for a network of companies that help me sell. To become a buyer for the client. The idea is that I am the one who is in the middle when the transaction is made, although afterwards whoever offers the product or service is the other, recommends Felix Coats. He adds: Companies tend to lock themselves in what they have and it is a mistake. We must take our product as an excuse to establish the relationship with the client, and from there deepen it to the fullest .
#4. Set realistic goals. Another common mistake is “to raise our sales objectives in the face of commercial objectives. You have to go back to the client. If we want to return to growth, we must think about where the market is, what it wants and why it is going to buy me, and how much. From there, define the objectives of the commercial, but already in a realistic way, with those who feel comfortable and can meet, “recommends Birches.
Regardless of the size of your company and the volume of business, having a commercial department is essential for the proper functioning of the company. Even if you are self-employed or freelance, you can incorporate characteristics of the commercial organization to your activity and behavior.
Finally, today we have to talk about how to organize your commercial department , so that this is effective and do not leave any sales on the way, this department needs a lot of agility because in addition to being directed to the management of the company is directly linked with your customers. For the administrative / financial department to work like a clock it is essential that the commercial department be effective and report truthfully and in real time. As you can see this department, the Commercial , has a lot of life, it is not worth talking to you more today, because in a next chapter I will give you a special treatment with the example of my own company :-), in the see as with a reasonable organization We can with all commercial fronts