Easy salisbury steak recipe with onion soup mix
This time I put aside the Mexican recipes and prepared a dish quite famous in the United States, Easy salisbury steak recipe with onion soup mix. The truth is that we were surprised by the taste of this “steak”. At first glance, it could be confused with a hamburger, but the differences are remarkable. A hamburger should only contain beef with a minimum amount of spices and condiments. And it always has a round shape.
Easy salisbury steak recipe with onion soup mix
Salisbury Steak is made from beef and may contain bread crumbs or oats, as well as vegetables and spices. When molding the ground meat to make a Salisbury Steak, you look for an appearance similar to that of a beef fillet. Without a doubt, the main difference is that it is never served inside a bun, if not accompanied by a sauce or puree. In fact, culinary legend says that the American physician JH Salisbury, an advocate of the low-carb diet invented the Salisbury Steak to lose weight. Keep reading: 4 different ways to cook pasta for children?
¼ finely chopped onion, 2 chopped garlic cloves, leaves of four finely chopped parsley sprigs, ¼ cup milk, 1 egg, ¾ Panko cup (you can use ground bread), 450 grams ground beef, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon ground pepper, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, 1½ medium sliced onions, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 teaspoon Bovril, ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, 1⅓ beef broth, ¼ water cup, 1 teaspoon cornstarch
In a midsize bowl, mix the onion with the garlic and the parsley. Add milk, egg, Panko, ground beef, English sauce, salt and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are fully integrated.
Divide into 5 balls. Give each ball an oval shape. Place in a covered container and sprinkle with cornstarch. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
Salisbury Steak with caramelized onion sauce
Meanwhile, you can prepare the caramelized onion sauce. In a large pan heat olive oil and butter. When they are ready, add the onion. Stir until it starts to caramelize, 25-30 minutes. Add the honey, Bovril and ground pepper, and cook for 5 more minutes.
Add the meat broth and cook until it begins to reduce about 5-7 minutes. In a small bowl dissolve the cornstarch in the water. Add the cornstarch and continue cooking for a couple more minutes until it thickens. Remove from heat and reserve.
Remove the Salisbury Steak from the refrigerator. In a big pan heat enough olive oil. Fry the “fillets” until they are brown on both sides.
Serve the Salisbury Steak with 2-3 tablespoons of the caramelized onion sauce. You can accompany it with mashed potato or with a bowl of rice. For us, the ideal pairing was a malty beer, Porter or Stout type.
Homemade Salisbury Filet Recipe with Mushroom and Onion Sauce
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking time: 30 min
Production: 4 large fillets
Category: Main Dish
For steaks or meat burgers from Salisbury:
- 1 kg of lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce (If you do not find it made, make it yourself, it is made with vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, water, peppers or paprika, soy sauce, tamarind, anchovies, onions, shallots, wine (occasionally), cloves and garlic.
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon of beef powder broth
For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 onion, cut into thin slices
- 200 grs of mushrooms, in sheets
- 2 teaspoons of thyme
- 3 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 4 cups of beef
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon beef broth powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- A handful of chopped fresh parsley
Preparation of empanadas:
Combine the ingredients for the empanadas in a large bowl. The combination of the ingredients with the hands (clean) works better. Form the ground beef mixture into 4 large fillets/oval burgers. At medium heat, melt the butter in a large heavy-bottom skillet or pan.
Once the butter is hot, place the hamburgers in the pan and cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Flip the burgers again from the other side for another 5 minutes. Once both sides of the burgers have been browned, carefully remove them from the pan and set aside on a plate.
For the sauce:
Cook onions in butter and leftover liquid in a pan, about 5 to 6 minutes, or until translucent. Stir a couple of times to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
Lower the heat so that it is between medium and low. To the saucepan add thyme, ketchup, Dijon mustard, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, beef broth powder, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir everything with onions and mushrooms and make sure everything is well combined. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Then, sprinkle in half the flour for all use. It combines well with the contents of the pan.
- Add the other half of the multipurpose flour and combine well.
- Now, cook for about 2 minutes while stirring and scrape the pieces from the bottom of the pan. There should be no lumps to the left of the flour, make sure you scramble enough to crush any of those little lumps!
- Then add the beef broth to the pan, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low. Scrape up any bit burned at the bottom of the pan, this will give the MASSIVE flavor of the sauce.
- Add Salisbury meat patties to skillet and spoon sauce, mushrooms and onions on top.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pan and stir carefully the sauce around the Salisbury steaks. Give the sauce a little taste test and add any extra pepper if necessary (the amount used is only according to your taste).
- Leave the contents of the saucepan over low heat uncovered to allow the sauce to thicken to your liking.
Serve Salisbury steak right on top of mashed potatoes, rice or egg noodles. Cover with lots of delicious sauce and sprinkle some parsley on top! DELICIOUS. I hope you liked this little Easy salisbury steak recipe with onion soup mix and that you try it in your house and leave me in the comments as the preparation has gone and if you like it or not.