Instructions For Use Of The Vapor Tube
Painful gaziki, colic, constipation and bloating often make life difficult not only for babies of the first year of life but also for their parents. Dreaming in every way to help a newborn mom and dad are ready to try hundreds of ways to relieve a child from pain, but there are not many effective methods to overcome colic. In some cases, pediatricians recommend putting a vent into the rectum of a child to stop an attack. How to use vapor tube and whether it is worth it because the debate about the feasibility and benefits of gas tubing is still being done? Is it possible to help the baby with less radical measures, and why do pain symptoms occur at all? Let’s figure it out!
What is a vapor tube?
This accessory is arranged quite simply: the hollow inside the tube has a fine tip that is inserted into the child’s rectum. Through the existing hole, the accumulated gaziki easily leave the intestines, and the painful sensations gradually subside. In fact, this process completely copies the natural discharge of gases, with only one reservation: when using the vapor tube, the baby does not relax the anus himself – caring parents do it for him.
Technically, the vapor tube can be made independently by simply cutting off a rubber bulb that fits the child in size. A home-made tube will not differ in functionality from branded accessories, however, it may be less convenient than a special device. However, the cost of such an accessory will be affordable for parents with any budget, and therefore there is no point in saving.
When is the use of a vapor tube justified?
It is recommended to insert a tube for the passage of gas in the anus only if the child has pronounced symptoms of abdominal pain associated with the inability to “penetrate” on his own. This condition is usually accompanied by the following symptoms:
- The baby is crying heavily and uncontrollably, while his face reddens and his mimic muscles tense up.
- The bloated tummy of the baby is very tense.
- The kid presses the legs of the chest, groans, but does not fart.
- It is not possible to soothe the child, either with a nipple, neither by sticking to the chest nor by motion sickness.
This clinical picture is a classic for children with colic. Usually, the attack does not last very long, and after a couple of hours the baby calms down, and the problem is solved by itself. But it’s unrealistic to endure this time without taking any measures to alleviate the child’s discomfort: young moms usually try their best to help the baby to get rid of the pain, using all available methods, including modern medicines, massages and, of course, vapor pipes.
However, before resorting to such a radical solution to the problem, it is worth finding out why the child is worried about the pain in his stomach. Most often the reason lies in the fact that infants are underdeveloped intestinal microflora. With the wrong attachment to the breast or the wrong choice of nipples for a bottle, he swallows air bubbles along with food, which subsequently causes pain. This state is physiological and subsides by three to four months – by this time the intestine of the child is fully developed.
To reduce the frequency of seizures, it will not be superfluous to consult with a pediatrician and a specialist in breastfeeding (in case the baby eats breast milk) – it is possible that the doctor will be able to point out errors during feeding and correct the mother’s diet. In addition, in some cases, the vapor tube may simply be useless, if not contraindicated, therefore, before delivering it to a child, it is imperative to obtain the approval of the pediatrician, and only then use the accessory for its intended purpose.
How to put a vapor tube? Step-by-step instruction for parents
- Boil accessory thoroughly before use (at least 2-3 minutes). Usually, the tubes are made of natural rubber that is resistant to high temperatures, and therefore this treatment will not damage the device.
- Wash hands with soap and, if possible, treat with antiseptic or antibacterial lotion.
- Cover the changing table with waterproof oilcloth, and to make your child more comfortable, cover it with a soft diaper on top.
- Do not forget to lubricate the tip of the vapor tube and the anus of the baby with petroleum jelly or fatty baby cream. For these purposes, you can use conventional vegetable oil, but first, it should be boiled and cooled to room temperature.
- Lay the baby in the most comfortable position for the procedure. Children up to six months, it is recommended to lay on the back, pressing his legs to his stomach. Older babies are best laid on their left side, likewise pressing their legs to their breasts.
- Extremely delicately enter the narrow tip of the vapor tube into the rectum. In order not to injure the anus, it is better to do it with rotational movements. The depth of the injection depends on the child’s age: 1-2 cm is enough for newborns, up to 4 cm for children older than six months. At the same time, carefully monitor the condition of the baby – it should not show anxiety and discomfort.
- Keep the device in the rectum for no more than 10 minutes. However, in most cases, this time is more than enough for the gas workers to leave. Notice that the process was completed successfully, it is possible by a specific smell. If you are worried that you will not notice the escaping gases, lower the free end of the tube into a glass of water – the bubbles that appear will clearly demonstrate that the problem has been solved.
- If the child is suffering from constipation, wait until the stool moves slightly. If necessary, gently push the tube a little deeper, but no more than 1 cm into the rectum.
- As soon as you feel that the feces begin to move away, delicately remove the accessory and press the legs of the child to the chest – in this position it will be easier for him to defecate.
- Upon completion of the procedure, thoroughly wash the crumbs and treat the anus with a softening baby cream to reduce the likelihood of burning and irritation from a foreign object.
Important! Make sure that the size of the tube corresponds to the age of the child. For newborns up to six months, you should take the smallest device size of 15-16, and for older children, a larger accessory size of 17-18 will do.
If you are performing a manipulation for the first time, it will not be out of place to observe the medical staff – a pediatrician or nurse. They will be able to correct possible errors in the introduction of the vapor tube and protect against the unpleasant consequences of incorrect use of the accessory. If, however, it is not possible to visit or call a doctor at home, thoroughly study the photo or video instructions online, trying not to miss important nuances.
The next time you can use the vapor tube no earlier than 4 hours after the procedure. However, you should not abuse this, at first glance, efficient method – the tube only relieves the problem for a while but does not in any way speed up its solution. By regularly stimulating a child, you will certainly help him clear the gut of accumulated gas, but at the same time disrupt the natural process of forming reflexes.
Too frequent use of the vapor tube can make it difficult for a newborn to learn to relax the anus on its own to “get through” and meet natural needs, and this can only get worse with age. That is why many pediatricians recommend this accessory as an extreme measure with a strong fit of colic.
How else can you help the child?
Before you run to the pharmacy for the vapor tube, try to alleviate the child’s condition in less drastic ways. In the fight against gas and colic, the following effective and absolutely safe methods proved to be very effective:
- Massage. Easy stroking the tummy stimulates peristalsis, accelerating the natural discharge of gases. Gently massage the belly of the baby, smoothly moving clockwise – this should improve his condition.
- Dill water. A decoction of dill seeds is a proven folk remedy for the normalization of digestion in an infant. Such a tool can be purchased at the pharmacy in finished form or you can prepare yourself by pouring 1 spoonful of cumin seeds with a glass of boiling water. In addition, if the baby is breastfed, dill broth should be drunk not only to him but also to the nursing mother.
- Warm diaper. Smooth the soft flannel diaper on both sides and attach crumbs to the tummy – heat helps to relax and reduce painful symptoms. However, before using the diaper for its intended purpose, make sure that it is not too hot – otherwise, you risk burning the delicate skin of the newborn.
- Tea with fennel. Another proven folk remedy for colic – a decoction of fennel. In the baby food departments, you can find special tea bags for brewing recommended for children older than 1 month. Earlier this age, do not solder the baby with tea.
- Pose “eagle.” If you notice that the child begins to push back to no avail, put it on the changing table and press your knees to the tummy – in such a position it will be easier for him to “punch through”. If the crumb already holds the head on its own, lean it back against your stomach and lift the legs – in such a position, the discharge of the gaziki will be even easier. In addition, this situation will help the toddler later easier to get used to the correct posture to cope with natural needs.
- Extraordinary feeding. Maternal warmth promotes relaxation, and therefore during an attack of jeepers try to attach the baby to the breast. Firstly, the bodily contact will calm the baby, and secondly, when sucking the anus will relax, and the gases accumulated in the intestine will come out.
How and what to help the child during the jeep, each mother decides on her own. However, before embarking on a radical treatment, do not neglect to visit a pediatrician, because the main thing, in this case, is not to harm the sensitive organism of the newborn.