The pumpkin is a sweet vegetable with many health properties. The benefits of pumpkin are based on its antioxidant virtues and its content in vitamins, minerals, fiber and low in calories. Therefore, it is recommended to help prevent many diseases. Below we explain the benefits of pumpkin and its depurative properties. We will also give you some tips to cook delicious and medicinal food. Keep reading!
Nutritional properties and benefits of pumpkin
The pumpkin contains 90% water and very few calories and carbohydrates. You can try our recipes of pumpkin soup. Also, it has a high fiber content. Among its components we find:
Vitamins: It contains vitamin A and vitamin C especially, in addition to vitamins E and those of group B (among them, folic acid ).
Minerals: It is rich in potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, and zinc, among others.
Beta-carotene: One of its main characteristics is this content. They are the ones who bring the color orange (they also have the carrot).
Acids: Linoleic, aspartic, oleic and amino acids.
Who is allowed to take pumpkin?
Based on these properties, pumpkin is highly recommended in cases of:
- Overweight: Recommended overweight because it is low in calories, diuretic, cleanser and contains fiber.
- Excess appetite: 90% of its content is water and contains fiber. Also, its sweetness means that we do not have as much need to consume other sweets harmful to health.
- Constipation: Combats constipation thanks to its fiber content.
- Eye problems: Because of its vitamin A content, it benefits to eye health and helps prevent cataracts.
- Cancer prevention: Its lycopene content helps prevent prostate, lung, stomach and bladder cancer. Its seeds are also beneficial.
- For pregnancy: Help in the pregnancy stage, for its content in vitamins and minerals, among them, folic acid.
- Skin problems: Pumpkin is very good for eczema. Also, it protects from the sun’s rays.
- Sugar imbalances: like diabetes and hypoglycemia. In this case, we recommend consuming a spicy pumpkin cream with a little cinnamon daily, which is also a regulator of sugar (it will also give a delicious taste).
- Excess mucus: It happens in children since it helps expectorate.
- Problems of the digestive system: The pumpkin protects the stomach from excess acidity and gastritis.
- Prostate problems: The consumption of pumpkin and its seeds helps to prevent and improve prostate problems.
- Intestinal parasites: Pumpkin seeds are a very old remedy to prevent and eliminate intestinal parasites. At least 30 seeds should be taken daily, which, combined with the laxative properties of the pumpkin, will be a very effective remedy in children and adults.
- Inflammatory diseases: Pumpkin helps reduce pain and inflammation.
How to get the benefits of the pumpkin when cooking it?
When buying a pumpkin, we will look for one that is firm and with intact skin. Pumpkins are well preserved for a long time, some even for half a year. If it’s summer, we’ll store them better in a fridge and consume them soon.
One of the great impediments of consuming it is the difficulty in peeling it. In that case, we recommend putting it to cook for a while cutting into pieces. This will help the skin soften, and it will be much easier to remove it.
Benefits of pumpkin seeds
Pumpkin seeds deserve a separate mention because they are very nutritious food with excellent health benefits. The essential properties of the seeds are:
- Rich in magnesium.
- Rich in zinc.
- They contain omega-3 fatty acids.
- They are excellent food for the prostate.
- They can improve diabetes.
- They are very beneficial during menopause to attenuate your symptoms.
- They contain tryptophan, which helps us rest.
- They have anti-inflammatory effects.
- They are a natural remedy for intestinal parasites.
How do we take them?
We can eat them raw or a little bit toasted. It is also possible to prepare a drink:
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds (20 g)
- 2 glasses of water (400 ml)
- Sweetener to taste
- To begin, soak the seeds for two hours.
- Afterward, they will have to be ground with water.
- Let them stand for 10 minutes and then strain them.
Do not stay without taking benefits of pumpkin. Both its pulp and its seeds will help us obtain a large number of nutrients and prepare different and surprising recipes like pumpkin jam.