This bug can cause a number of different ailments in humans, but it is most well-known for being the cause of food poisoning. The main way that these bugs get into the food is through animal waste which makes it a zoonosis, an infection that transmits from animals to humans. It enters the food chain by way of the animals’ droppings or on the bedding and soil. This means that if you are eating an animal that has been infected with campylobacter, then there is a good chance that you will also get a case of campylobacteriosis if the food has not been cooked properly.
A leading cause of campylobacter poisoning is from cross contamination with uncooked chicken. If people wash raw chicken, the bacteria can spread to hands, get splashed across work surfaces and end up on utensils. This is why food safety experts no longer recommended washing raw chicken before it is cooked.
A campylobacter infection can cause diarrhea, vomiting, nausea and stomach pain that can last for several days and is highly unpleasant. If you run a food business and wish to learn more about the safe preparation of food to avoid illness, consider Food safety Consultants like MQM Consulting
It is the most common form of food poisoning in the UK and affects hundreds of thousands each year. Don’t let your kitchen be a breeding ground for such unpleasant bugs and learn more about food safety today.